Work at Exile
General Manager & Front of House Staff
Theatre Exile is a nonprofit theater company dedicated to enhancing the cultural experiences of all Philadelphians through the staging of works that engage the imagination. We are a small team of dedicated individuals who work together to produce high-level theater. We produce challenging plays that explore the complexities of the human condition and contain a sense of true Philadelphia grit and passion. We present both new works as well as established plays often reinterpreted in original ways. We produce a three-production subscription series; a new play development series; an education program that includes outreach and classes; as well as special events.
The General Manager plays a critical operations role in our organization. The position includes oversight of day-to-day operations, departmental communication and coordination, facility management, management of our rental program, HR matters, and financial oversight and budgeting. Duties include:
- Provide leadership and oversight to ensure that the organization’s work progresses efficiently and within established timelines
- Oversee and facilitate inter-departmental and outside vendor communication and coordination
- Work with the Producing Artistic Director (PAD) and Operations Consultant (OC) to develop organizational policies and procedures
- Conduct semi-monthly staff meetings and maintain organization calendars
- Participate in season planning
- Maintain organization documents and files
- Oversee and troubleshoot IT needs, including hardware and software and other office equipment
- Manage supplies necessary for efficient operations and staff support
Human Resources (HR):
- Manage job postings, interviews, hiring and onboarding process.
- Hire and manage interns
- Manage payroll runs through ADP
- Maintain employee records
- Manage staff review process
- Point person for HR matters
- Complete annual Workers Comp audit
- Perform bookkeeping responsibilities using QuickBooks including: Accounts Payable/Receivable, check cutting, running reports and reconciliations, and tracking grant funds and donations
- Make bank deposits and reconcile bank statements
- Prep annual financial audit for Board Treasurer and outside auditor
- Work with Board Treasurer and PAD to prepare financial reporting for Board
- Assist PAD with budget creation, reforecasting and cash flow management
- Provide PAD and grant writer with data for grant applications and reports
- Oversee cleaning and general appearance of Theatre Exile’s facility
- Manage maintenance and repairs with assistance from the Production Manager (PM), including managing utilities and elevator maintenance contract
- Point of contact with renters and liaison between renter and PM for technical needs
- Work with PAD, OC and PM on logistics, availability and establishing rental price
- Work with OC to create rental contracts
- Schedule facility tours for potential renters
- Maintain rental/space calendar
- Schedule Theatre Exile representative for rentals
- Manage Patron Manager, Theatre Exile’s ticketing and CRM platform, including creating ticketing and price items, manage batch settlements, troubleshoot, and help staff problem solve issues
- Work with staff to establish best practices for patron facing initiatives and box office procedures
- Hire, train, and create training materials for box office staff
- Complete yearly PCI certification
- Be available to troubleshoot issues that arise during performances on an on-call basis
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities concurrently and establish priorities
- Able to communicate clearly verbally and in writing with strong interpersonal skills
- Results and action-oriented project management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Experience with Excel, QuickBooks, Microsoft, and database management systems
- Experience managing budgets, exhibiting financial analytical skills
- Experience in an arts organization preferred but not required·
Minimum 3 years experience in positions that have prepared applicants to assume the listed duties.
EOE: Theatre Exile is an equal opportunity employer and hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our facility is wheelchair accessible. Theatre Exile is committed to reflecting the diversity of our city. We encourage applicants of color to apply.
∙ Salary: $41,000-45,000
∙ Health and leave benefits package
∙ This is a full time, exempt position
To Apply for the general manager position:
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “General Manager” in the subject line.
FRONT OF HOUSE STAFF
Theatre Exile is seeking Front of House Staff for our 21/22 Season! Next up, The Motherf**ker with The Hat by Stephen Adly Guirgis, running February 3rd through February 27th.
We are primarily seeking Box Office Reps and Vaccination Record Verifiers, but it is the goal that all front of house staff will be trained on both positions, in addition to being trained to fill in as House Manager if the occasion arises and the individual is comfortable.
Box Office Reps
Our Box Office Reps work on site checking patrons in, selling tickets, answering incoming calls and emails, processing subscriptions, exchanges and donations, and welcoming patrons- all while collaborating closely with our House Manager and administrative staff. Experience with PatronManager is a plus, but not mandatory. Box Office reps will work in collaboration with our House Manager and Ushers to ensure COVID safe flow of traffic into the building.
Vaccination Record Verifier
The Vaccination Record Verifier will be stationed in our courtyard prior to each performance to ensure all patrons entering the building are fully vaccinated. They will work in collaboration with the Box Office and House Manager to get folks inside to see the show in an organized and timely fashion.
To Apply for Front of House Staff
Please send an email expressing your interest with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Front of House” in the subject line.
About Theatre Exile:
Theatre Exile is a nonprofit theater company dedicated to enhancing the cultural experiences of all Philadelphians through the staging of works that engage the imagination. We have a small team of dedicated individuals who work together to produce high-level theatre. We produce challenging plays that explore the complexities of the human condition and contain a sense of true Philadelphia grit and passion. We are constantly striving to reach out to new theater audiences throughout the community by presenting both new works as well as established plays that are often reinterpreted in original ways. We believe in freedom of expression formulated through innovation, exploration, and provocation. At the same time, we provide a safe and creative environment in which local artists can grow and experiment and ultimately, find their own voice. Theatre Exile is an equal opportunity employer and hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Theatre Exile is an equal opportunity employer and hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Our facility is wheelchair accessible. Theatre Exile is committed to reflecting the diversity of our city. We strongly encourage applicants of color to apply.