Theatre Exile is a nonprofit theater company dedicated to enhancing the cultural experiences of Philadelphians through the staging of works that engage the imagination. We produce challenging plays that explore the complexities of the human condition and contain a sense of Philadelphia grit and passion. We strive to reach new theater audiences throughout the community by presenting both new works as well as established plays that are often reinterpreted in original ways. We believe in freedom of expression formulated through innovation, exploration and provocation. At the same time, we provide a safe and creative environment in which local artists can grow, experiment and find their own voice.
- We are committed to creating quality theater.
- We believe that to live as an artist is an honor and to be an artist means that you have a responsibility to make the community that you live in a better place.
- We respect the dedication and talent of artists who are committed to our philosophy and style of performance.
- We are committed to Philadelphia’s artists and audiences, and to supporting local artists while reflecting the unique character and diversity of our city within our artistic work.
- We believe that the stronger and more daring the artist’s voice, the more the artist is able to engage in dynamic dialogue.
- We seek to inspire conversation and excitement among our audience members.
- We believe discourse with diverse perspectives helps uplift any conversation.
- We choose plays that are high quality, challenging, daring, and appeal to an adventurous audience.
- We live by the collaborative process with all of our many and varied artists and staff.
- We are part of a community and will contribute to the well being of that community through all of our programs.
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
Theatre Exile stands in solidarity with those fighting with the Black Lives Matter movement to make their voices heard. At Theatre Exile we produce plays that focus on people grappling with the truth of the world around them. We try to make change through the stories we tell. But there is so much more that needs to be done. We encourage our community to take action to make our world a more just place to live. Please consider visiting or supporting the following resources and organizations:
Theatre Exile has proven to be a place where local artists can take their biggest risks. We match challenging scripts with Philadelphia’s top talent, continually bringing immediate and dangerous performances to our audiences. The stories that Exile brings to our audiences demand that our actors live in a moment of truth, despite the peril and vulnerability that such honesty demands. Our artists and technicians collaborate continually. This working style is imperative to creating the intimacy that the audience feels. Armed with our bare-knuckled acting style, bold designs and forceful direction, Exile attacks stories; digging deeper into our desires and psyches.